The 15-year-old boy who ran over suffered serious injuries, including many pelvic fractures. Six broken ribs and a punctured lung, prosecutors said.
A Long Island mother intentionally ran over a 15-year-old boy in her car twice, believing. She was involved in a robbery, according to prosecutors.
Jennifer Nelson, 35, of Shirley, New York, was charged Monday. with second-degree attempted murder. First-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment. And leaving the scene of serious injury in Suffolk County. The district attorney’s office announced this information in a circular on Monday.
The charges stem from an alleged hit-and-run on Oct. 7. Nelson’s attorney disputed the district attorney’s account.
That day, Nelson allegedly drove his 2020 Honda Passport. To a Dunkin’ Donuts from William Floyd High School in Shirley. To confront “students who participated in a robbery targeting his son that day.” He believed the students were still in the chain’s parking lot.
Once in the parking lot, he “threatened a group of students. While brandishing a knife and a small bat,” prosecutors said.
During the incident, the 15-year-old victim left the parking lot and walked across. The street into the parking lot of a Manhattan Bagel restaurant.
Nelson then re-entered his vehicle, left the Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot. Entered the Manhattan Bagel parking lot “at a high rate of speed.” and “drove directly toward the victim who was standing in the parking lot,” the release said.
His vehicle allegedly hit the victim, causing him to fall to the ground.
He then “drove over the victim, into a barrier, reversed, drove over the victim again. And then fled the scene,” according to county prosecutors.
Later that evening, he tried to conceal his car by trading it in for a newer model. Even though his lease was not due to expire, officials said.
The victim suffered “serious physical injuries including many pelvic fractures, six broken ribs,. A collapsed lung and many lacerations and abrasions,” the statement said.
The district attorney’s office said two juveniles. Were arrested in connection with the alleged robbery of Nelson’s son. And the victim was not one of them.
Recommended Nelson’s attorney Paul D’Emilia shared. A different account of the events of Oct. 7. Saying in a statement: “The district attorney has attempted to piece together. Two separate incidents from that day into one continuous event.”
He said that day, Nelson “received a frantic telephone call from his son who, once again, had been bullied. And physically assaulted in a parking lot outside William Floyd High School.”
She said Nelson drove to her son’s rescue and found him. “Shoeless and surrounded by tormentors when she drove away minutes later.”
After she fended off her son’s bullies, she went to the junior high school and senior high school. To report the incident and try to recover her son’s sneakers, the attorney said.
“Mr. Nelson did not see or recognize the injured young man. Completely surprised, Mrs. Nelson did not see the young man running towards her car. After the incident the young man got up and ran away,” he added.
D’Emilia said her client, a single mother. Intends to “vigorously” fight the charges to protect her child.
At his arraignment Monday, Nelson was ordered released on his own recognizance. Prosecutors recommended bail be set at $250,000 cash, $1 million bond or $2.5 million partially secured bond.
Nelson is due back in court on March 21.
“This defendant — an adult — allegedly thought he could take the law into his own hands and attempted to kill. A 15-year-old in the process,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney. “This defendant’s incredibly misguided attempt. To avenge the alleged victimization of his own child is no excuse.”
“Citizens cannot take the law into. Their own hands, and instead should work with law enforcement. And my office to get justice in every case,” he added.