A domestic pigeon that was dyed pink and then released into the wild died this week, possibly. From inhaling toxins from the dye, the Wildlife Rescue Service of New York City said.
The king pigeon, nicknamed Flamingo, was found in Madison Square Park. Last week and turned into the Wild Bird Fund. In a tweet on Tuesday, the center announced that Flamingo had died.
“Despite our best efforts to reduce fumes from the dye, while keeping him calm. And stable, he died during the night. We believe his death was due to inhalation of toxic substances,” the tweet read.
The center said they believe hair dye was used to change the color of the pigeons. Workers tried various methods to remove the dye but to no avail.
The bird was malnourished when seen in the park. It appeared to be a newborn and had “no survival skills.” “Even without the added complication of toxic coloration. He would not have survived in a city park as a white, helpless bird,” the center warned in its tweet. That pet bird is dangerous to release. According to the Wild Bird Fund, domesticated birds. Released into the wild will die of starvation or predation.
“‘Dove release’ is a romantic term. but take away the decorations and Instagram photos and they’re. the equal of dumping your helpless pet on the side of the road. That’s no way to celebrate anything,” says Kendra. “Rest in peace, sweet bird.”
It is not clear why the bird was painted or who was responsible for doing it.