The NYC Department of Buildings said two commercial businesses. A daycare and a dental lab. Were operating in the basement of the two-story, single-family home.
Eighteen children were injured after .a fire broke out Wednesday afternoon. At a daycare center in the basement of a home in the Queens borough of New York City, fire officials said.
The New York City Fire Department received a call just after 2 p.m. Wednesday. And found a “heavy fire” at a house in the vicinity of 72nd and 147th streets.
Fire marshals said the fire started in a lithium-ion battery.
The fire department said a total of 18 pediatric. Patients were evacuated from the building. With one in critical condition and hospitalized. Another 17 were stable and refused treatment at the scene.
Firefighters evacuated a pediatric patient from the area of the basement fire. officials said. The fire was under control about 40 minutes after firefighters arrived. And was confined to the basement.
The NYC Department of Buildings said inspectors found. Two commercial businesses, a daycare and a dental lab. Operating in the basement of the two-story, single-family home.
After the inspection, the department issued a violation. For construction work on the cellar without a DOB work permit. And the department reported occupying the cellar “contrary to city records.” The department said the cellar was for “incidental storage.” And not for conducting the two businesses.
“In the interest of public safety, and due to the severe damage caused by the fire. We have issued a full vacate order for the building,” a department spokesman said.
FDNY Chief of Fire Operations John M. Esposito warns. Of the dangers of charging lithium ion batteries at home.
“Lithium ion batteries, we’ve had problems. Over the last few years with them in scooters and bikes and charging them. Battery mismatches and charging cords and low quality batteries,” he said. In the driveway or on the way out of your house or apartment, you shouldn’t charge them overnight … charge them with a closed door while you’re awake and alert and at home.“